The students on our team compiled advice on how the text features in our textbook can help us to learn as we read.
- Headings are easy to spot and help you to focus on the main idea of the passage.
- The glossary helps you to define words you don't know.
- The index tells you where to find specific topics in the book.
- Words in BOLD and RED are key words.
- Definitions to vocabulary words can be found in the graphic on the page they are used.
- The pictures provide visuals to connect you to the text.
- Subheadings help to organize the ideas by topic.
Below is the link to a Study Skills Assessment on reading your textbook you can take:
http://thisisoakton.com/learn/readsvy.htm

6 comments:
I agree with this. The text resources will help us very much throughout the year. (Does this get me extra points?)Its Jason Canavan
Jason,
Posting will earn you bonus points. What will help you the most?
-Mr. Goldstein
Text resourses are instrumental when it comes to studyig. I think the index helps me the most since I can look up the topic that we are studying to learn more about it. Other usful resouces for me are the glossery(to help define words) and bolded words (which let me know they are important).
Nathan Terry
Dolphins
The glossary will probably help me a lot, as it will give me definitions of words I might not understand very well. Also, the index will probably help me too when trying to find pages about certain topics in the textbook.
Allison Claroni
I think that text resources play a big part when it comes to using a textbook. Out of all of the resources the textbook offers I would have to say the glossary helps me the most. I'm pretty good at learning facts easily from the textbook. But if I don't know what a word means it's really no help at all. Thats when the glossary comes in. Whenever I don't know the meaning of a word, I just flip to the back of the textbook and read the definition. Its like a dictionary for the textbook.
Another textbook resource that I use frequently is the words that or bolded or in a different color. If I see a sentence with a bold or colored word in it, i make sure to pay attention to those specific facts.
Post a Comment