I think these cures did not work. Such as the bleeding. The bleeding caused infections and made patients weaker. Also the weird potions did not work. I think people believed these cause they had no reason not to. They had no scientific knowlege
The cures were mostly religious and the people weren't smart enough to know about medicine and other treatments. The only ones that worked were diet and burning the dead bodies. Bleeding was spiritual and the others relied on flowers of some sort. Overall, they had none of the technology and medical advances, so a simple bacteria infection today would kill millions back then.
I think they didn't work. I think this because i think we all know witchcraft wouldn't be affective and the others seemed like they may boost the persons moral more. The only two i see possibly working are the bath of vinegar and rose water and the diet they may help a little in terms of the person feeling better (moral wise).
I think that the cures that they used did not work. For example, they thought that bleeding helped the paitent but that would weaken them and make then worse. Also, the diet could help but it proably didn't work that well.
I do not think that any of these cures worked. The weird mixtures did nothing, bleeding people just made them get infections, and made them even weaker. If people just let these people alone they still would have probably died, but they probably would have had a better chance of living because they wouldn't be so weak, from being bleed or other things.
The diet makes sense, and is often used today when people are sick. The fruits have useful vitamins in them. The bleeding was not the best idea humanity ever came up with. It only weakened them even more. The vinegar/water treatment is plausible though, washing could remove any extra bacteria or infectious fleas. One of the better ideas is probably the sanitation, it will stop the spread of bacteria, rats and fleas around the city. The potions may work because they are not proven or disproven. And who knows? Maybe witchcraft DID work, there is no good way to tell. But the "lancing the buboes" was really stupid. Cutting the patient will bleed them, put them in even more pain and cause further infection. It is not good for the people near them either. -Dylan
some cures for the black death are by placing a hen next to the swelling to draw out the black death. Also you should drink 2 cups of your urine everyday.
I found the washing in the vinegar and rose water was very odd because didn't the people in medevial times rarely got cleaned? What if they were a pesant?
I think cleaning the streets and burying or burning dead bodies helped prevent the spread of the black death. People probably believed in these remedies because they wanted peace of mind and be able to think that by doing this things God would save them
I don't think many of the cures would work. The sanitation cure and the diet cure would probably work. Because we use these cures today and they are proven to work.
I think that some of these would work and most would not. Like bleeding especially wouldn't work, because you're just making the person weaker by making them bleed all their blood out.
The only treatment that probably helped prevent the Bubonic Plague from spreading is the sanitation method because getting rid of unsanitary corpses and animal waste keeps the germ level down. People probably believed in them because, for one thing, those were probably the only theories accumulating around villages and towns. Also, most people didn't have an education, and even those with an education didn't know of any accurate cures for this plague. So all they knew to do was to look to God and try to come up with their own unique theories.
None of these cures would have worked except for sanitation. That wouldn't help anybody who already had this disease, but it would probably help to prevent other people from getting it. People would believe these ideas because the Middle Ages was a period of time where people were very religious. Also back then, people didn't know about the medicine we have today but they were starting to get on the right track with herbs.
I think none of these actually worked all though sanatation probelly helped not spread it as much because keeping the town clean is always a good idea. the things they did were not to smart and probelly could end up worse for the sick one because if u cut open your skin and take out the blood nothing good will come from it, and the others just done make to much sense at all.
they probelly belived it because they didnt know much better themselves and it probelly semmed pretty logical back then when the black death was around
I dont think any of these cures actually work. Some people may have beliefed these worked becuase they have never heard of anything else before. There is no logic in the things they are using for cures.
I do not think any of these cures work. Some of them seem ridiculous, such as drinking your own urine. It may be sterile and you may like the taste, but it will not cure you. Knowing now that the Black Death was a bacterial infection, none of these cures seem to be able to cure anything like this. Although, sanitizing seems like it might have worked as a way to slow the spread of the disease. The bacteria would be burned with their clothing and items.
i think that sanitation would be the only one that might work because if it was caused by a virus the fleas that spread it would leave because there wouldn't be much to feed on
I think that the bleeding,diet,and sanitation might actually work in curing the Bubonic Plague because if you bleed the person..not to death but just like some blood that might help if the disease is in their blood. And the diet might work because if they ea healthier they could become healthier too. And lastly I think that the sanitation would help because if their in a clean environment that could help them get better. And i think people would believe in these things because they sound like they would work. But I also think people believed in the witch craft cures of using herbs and other substances too.
I don't think any of these cures worked except maybe the diet. They didn't work because all they did was use special witchcraft technics and let the patient's blood pour out. There were no scientific cures like we do today. I think people beleived that the cures worked because they had no medical knowledge and they were brought up that way.
I think cleaning the streets and burying or burning dead bodies helped. This would slow down the spread of it. I do not think the bleeding, hen thing, urine drinking, herbs,or the dieting would work.
I think its weird how people tried going on diets to try and cure diseases. Also i thought it was strange how they gave people vinegar baths to try and heal people.
I think the only method for preventing people from getting sick would be the sanitation. It would just get rid of alot of germs so it would prevent other people from getting sick.
I think the dieting would work because some healthier foods have good vitamans in them. Also, the bleeding was pointless because its just hurting the person even more when they are losing blood. They probably did all of this stuff because they didn't have any idea it wasn't working. Obviously they weren't very bright.
I dont think that any of these cures could have really worked because the cures include things like leaving open wounds dieting and puting leeches on people to bleed them. All of these things seem like then would give a person more infection and bacteria or make them worse. I believe that people thought these "cures" could really make them better because they didnt have the correct knowlegde to know what would really help them and they just tried to do anything they think might work.
They cured black death letting people bleed and going on diets. Ointment made of clay and violets was applied to the place were cuts were made. Also when people died they burned their clothing.
Okay none of them would work. Bleeding would make you weak, cutting it so teh diese would run out then you could get an infection. Dieting wouldn't help, niether would witchcraft. Obviously washing in vinegar and water would be pointless none of them are good. The best one would be the eggs and herbs even that is stupid but that is the closet thing to medicine, so none of them would work.
I think that some cures would have worked, and others would be hurting more than helping. For example, killing someone might stop the spread of bacteria a bit. Bleeding the person was mostly spiritual and religious, so it mostly weakened them. Also, I think that sanitation would be affective because if the streets are cleaner, than it will be less likely for rats to be there. Witchcraft was simply a waste of the time. Lastly, I think that the diet could help, because eating well can help make someone healthy. The technology and knowlege that people had back then on medicine was lacking.
Most of them involved the disease being only in the blood where this is not the case. Bleeding weakened people and that probably wasn't good when you had a life threatening disease
One cure for the black death was to bleed.I do not think any of the cures would work because they were all kind of obviouse that they would'nt. The people believed in this only because they needed something to believe in.
i dont think that any of these really helped exceept for the one where they tried to be really clean. I think some of them are really weird and stupid... like witch craft, and bleeding. blood lose would probably make it worse. people probably didnt really know any other way to cure diseases, and maybe this is what the docters told them to do. so, they just listened to the docters.
there were many treatments like bleeding to clanse the spirit. doctors would were masks with the smells of flowers because they thought if you smelt a sick person would get sick. this is not true. it was spread by fleas
Most of these treatments are really crazy. Deseases aren't cuased by smelling bad things or by spirits. So none of these things would work. One of the methods was sanatation. This wouldn't cure someone who already had a sickness, but it would help other people not get sick
They were not very medicaly advanced during the middle ages so they relied on mostly relgeious cures such as bleeding. They belived bleeding cleansed your blood/soul of bad things. Also their other techniques were to burn the dead bodies which probably worked to a certain extent. They also thought that the black plauge travled by air so docters wore masks with scents of flowers and such to block out the bad smells and disease. What they didn't know was that the bubonic plauge travled by rats and fleas. Rats were diseased and the fleas bit them infecting the fleas. After the fleas bit humans infecting them.
I agree with Melisa. I don't think any the treatments would work. Drinking urine is just plain diqusting and not healthy. Bleeding would only weaken the patient. And lastly, something that might help, would be dieting. It's still used today, and it helps a lot.
I think the cures that would work were the diet and vinegar and water treatment because they seem like the would actually work rather than the witchcraft.
Most of the treatments that were religious were based on beliefs and wouldn't really work such as bleeding to let the disease leave the body. If they cut open main arteries and veins that lead to the heart to let these people bleed they'd either die or be severely weakened. Sanitation might actually be effective in making the disease less spreadable. Diet would probably make the patient at least a little stronger.
None of these cures actaully worked. If they did 25 million people wouldn't have died. Most of these cures are just rediculous. Cutting open the sores would just leave an opening for an infection. And bleeding just makes the person weaker. Wichcraft was the craziest idea they had. But people back then had no modern knowlledge of how medicene works so they had there own way of viewing things. Obviously we now know that theses were ineffective methods. They probably had no way to develop a cure back them anyways.
I think the only one of the cures that could work would be the one where they cut the person open to drain some of the blood. I think this will work because when they drain the blood they could be draining out the disease from the body.
Many cures that were said to work for curing the "Black Death," didn't seem to work in my mind. Bleeding a person to try and have the disease escape obviously didn't work becuase it would only make the person weaker. The sanitation cure and the diet cure probably would work becuase we use similar treatments today. I think that the disease would not spread if they had sanitation and cleaned the streets. Also they should dispose of the dead bodies correctly rather than leaving them to rest on the streets.
i dont think any of these methods worked. Cutting open the sores would probably spread the disease more! Also, I'm not sure how bleeding would help. It would cause more infection, and the people would become weaker.
I personally think that most of the cures didn't work except maybe the vinegar and water treatment. This could possibly lower the fever causing other side effects to slowly weaken. People believed in them because they thought normal practices or newer practices could cure anything, but as 1/3 of the population was eliminated, I think they were wrong.
Most of the so called "cures" to black death had to do with religion. They thought that if you cut open the viens to the heart, you could stop the disease from spreading. We now know that that only made the patient more weak and very likely to die.
One thing that they did that proboably did good was to clean the streets daily and to burn all the human and animal remains. This was a step in the right direction. Otherwise the treatments were ludicroust and had no posetive affect on the patient.
I don't believe that any of the cures would work. Especially the one about not eating meat cheese and fish. It makes absolutely no sense and I don't think is even relevant to the plague. People may have believed that those things would work because not many people had medical expierience and were desperate to be cured.
I think that the diet and sanitation would work for curing the Plague. I think this because today people still worry about being clean and not having trash laying around. If they didn't throw things on the street, bacteria wouldn't grow as much and the Plague would die down. I think that dieting might have worked depending on what they ate because they might eat healthier and help to keep themselves healthy in the future.
I'm pretty sure putting "dried human excrement" on open sores would not have helped. Burning the bodies might have worked. At least people on the streets wouldn't be brushing up against dead bodies that had open sores.
I don't really think any of these worked. I think the people believed in them because they did not know any better, so they basically just made up treatments for the disease.
73 comments:
Some cures for the black death was to have a diet and to bleed.But there were also outher treatments
I think at least 1 of the cures worked.Probably the diet.
I don't think any the treatments would work. Bleeding, for example, would only WEAKEN the patient.
Nathan Terry
People would believe the idea of bleeding because they believed that the "evil sickness" was in the bloodstream and would go away if it went out.
I think these cures did not work. Such as the bleeding. The bleeding caused infections and made patients weaker. Also the weird potions did not work. I think people believed these cause they had no reason not to. They had no scientific knowlege
The cures were mostly religious and the people weren't smart enough to know about medicine and other treatments. The only ones that worked were diet and burning the dead bodies. Bleeding was spiritual and the others relied on flowers of some sort. Overall, they had none of the technology and medical advances, so a simple bacteria infection today would kill millions back then.
I think they didn't work. I think this because i think we all know witchcraft wouldn't be affective and the others seemed like they may boost the persons moral more. The only two i see possibly working are the bath of vinegar and rose water and the diet they may help a little in terms of the person feeling better (moral wise).
I think that the cures that they used did not work. For example, they thought that bleeding helped the paitent but that would weaken them and make then worse. Also, the diet could help but it proably didn't work that well.
I do not think that any of these cures worked. The weird mixtures did nothing, bleeding people just made them get infections, and made them even weaker. If people just let these people alone they still would have probably died, but they probably would have had a better chance of living because they wouldn't be so weak, from being bleed or other things.
The diet makes sense, and is often used today when people are sick. The fruits have useful vitamins in them. The bleeding was not the best idea humanity ever came up with. It only weakened them even more. The vinegar/water treatment is plausible though, washing could remove any extra bacteria or infectious fleas. One of the better ideas is probably the sanitation, it will stop the spread of bacteria, rats and fleas around the city. The potions may work because they are not proven or disproven. And who knows? Maybe witchcraft DID work, there is no good way to tell. But the "lancing the buboes" was really stupid. Cutting the patient will bleed them, put them in even more pain and cause further infection. It is not good for the people near them either.
-Dylan
some cures for the black death are by placing a hen next to the swelling to draw out the black death. Also you should drink 2 cups of your urine everyday.
i don't think many of the treatments would have worked, ecspeacially bleeding which would only weaken a person.
I found the washing in the vinegar and rose water was very odd because didn't the people in medevial times rarely got cleaned? What if they were a pesant?
I think cleaning the streets and burying or burning dead bodies helped prevent the spread of the black death. People probably believed in these remedies because they wanted peace of mind and be able to think that by doing this things God would save them
I don't think many of the cures would work. The sanitation cure and the diet cure would probably work. Because we use these cures today and they are proven to work.
I think that some of these would work and most would not. Like bleeding especially wouldn't work, because you're just making the person weaker by making them bleed all their blood out.
The only treatment that probably helped prevent the Bubonic Plague from spreading is the sanitation method because getting rid of unsanitary corpses and animal waste keeps the germ level down. People probably believed in them because, for one thing, those were probably the only theories accumulating around villages and towns. Also, most people didn't have an education, and even those with an education didn't know of any accurate cures for this plague. So all they knew to do was to look to God and try to come up with their own unique theories.
i dont think that any treatments worked. Some treatments were just stupid like bleeding the pacients.
liam
None of these cures would have worked except for sanitation. That wouldn't help anybody who already had this disease, but it would probably help to prevent other people from getting it. People would believe these ideas because the Middle Ages was a period of time where people were very religious. Also back then, people didn't know about the medicine we have today but they were starting to get on the right track with herbs.
I think that the bleeding cure might have worked because the diese was in their blood, and bleeding might clean out the blood.
none of these cures would have worked. Bleeding the pacient was just stupid.
I think none of these actually worked all though sanatation probelly helped not spread it as much because keeping the town clean is always a good idea. the things they did were not to smart and probelly could end up worse for the sick one because if u cut open your skin and take out the blood nothing good will come from it, and the others just done make to much sense at all.
they probelly belived it because they didnt know much better themselves and it probelly semmed pretty logical back then when the black death was around
I dont think any of these cures actually work. Some people may have beliefed these worked becuase they have never heard of anything else before. There is no logic in the things they are using for cures.
Paul Minard
I do not think any of these cures work. Some of them seem ridiculous, such as drinking your own urine. It may be sterile and you may like the taste, but it will not cure you. Knowing now that the Black Death was a bacterial infection, none of these cures seem to be able to cure anything like this. Although, sanitizing seems like it might have worked as a way to slow the spread of the disease. The bacteria would be burned with their clothing and items.
i think that sanitation would be the only one that might work because if it was caused by a virus the fleas that spread it would leave because there wouldn't be much to feed on
I think that the bleeding,diet,and sanitation might actually work in curing the Bubonic Plague because if you bleed the person..not to death but just like some blood that might help if the disease is in their blood. And the diet might work because if they ea healthier they could become healthier too. And lastly I think that the sanitation would help because if their in a clean environment that could help them get better. And i think people would believe in these things because they sound like they would work. But I also think people believed in the witch craft cures of using herbs and other substances too.
I don't think any of these cures worked except maybe the diet. They didn't work because all they did was use special witchcraft technics and let the patient's blood pour out. There were no scientific cures like we do today. I think people beleived that the cures worked because they had no medical knowledge and they were brought up that way.
I think cleaning the streets and burying or burning dead bodies helped. This would slow down the spread of it. I do not think the bleeding, hen thing, urine drinking, herbs,or the dieting would work.
-sam bacon
I think sanitation might have ctually worked,and the others were believed in because medieval people didn't know better.
i do not think that many of them worked because they didnt understand the spread of disease so they couldnt cure them
I think its weird how people tried going on diets to try and cure diseases. Also i thought it was strange how they gave people vinegar baths to try and heal people.
I think the only method for preventing people from getting sick would be the sanitation. It would just get rid of alot of germs so it would prevent other people from getting sick.
i dont think that there were any cures for deaths. for some cures you would have to have leachs suck the bad spirts out of your body.
I think the dieting would work because some healthier foods have good vitamans in them. Also, the bleeding was pointless because its just hurting the person even more when they are losing blood. They probably did all of this stuff because they didn't have any idea it wasn't working. Obviously they weren't very bright.
I dont think that any of these cures could have really worked because the cures include things like leaving open wounds dieting and puting leeches on people to bleed them. All of these things seem like then would give a person more infection and bacteria or make them worse. I believe that people thought these "cures" could really make them better because they didnt have the correct knowlegde to know what would really help them and they just tried to do anything they think might work.
They cured black death letting people bleed and going on diets. Ointment made of clay and violets was applied to the place were cuts were made. Also when people died they burned their clothing.
i think that most cures would not work for examplebleong would just makethe person more weak and sick and probably more likly to die.
Okay none of them would work. Bleeding would make you weak, cutting it so teh diese would run out then you could get an infection. Dieting wouldn't help, niether would witchcraft. Obviously washing in vinegar and water would be pointless none of them are good. The best one would be the eggs and herbs even that is stupid but that is the closet thing to medicine, so none of them would work.
I think that some cures would have worked, and others would be hurting more than helping. For example, killing someone might stop the spread of bacteria a bit. Bleeding the person was mostly spiritual and religious, so it mostly weakened them. Also, I think that sanitation would be affective because if the streets are cleaner, than it will be less likely for rats to be there. Witchcraft was simply a waste of the time. Lastly, I think that the diet could help, because eating well can help make someone healthy. The technology and knowlege that people had back then on medicine was lacking.
Most of them involved the disease being only in the blood where this is not the case. Bleeding weakened people and that probably wasn't good when you had a life threatening disease
One cure for the black death was to bleed.I do not think any of the cures would work because they were all kind of obviouse that they would'nt. The people believed in this only because they needed something to believe in.
i dont think that any of these really helped exceept for the one where they tried to be really clean. I think some of them are really weird and stupid... like witch craft, and bleeding. blood lose would probably make it worse. people probably didnt really know any other way to cure diseases, and maybe this is what the docters told them to do. so, they just listened to the docters.
~sarah o'Leary
there were many treatments like bleeding to clanse the spirit. doctors would were masks with the smells of flowers because they thought if you smelt a sick person would get sick. this is not true. it was spread by fleas
Most of these treatments are really crazy. Deseases aren't cuased by smelling bad things or by spirits. So none of these things would work. One of the methods was sanatation. This wouldn't cure someone who already had a sickness, but it would help other people not get sick
They were not very medicaly advanced during the middle ages so they relied on mostly relgeious cures such as bleeding. They belived bleeding cleansed your blood/soul of bad things. Also their other techniques were to burn the dead bodies which probably worked to a certain extent. They also thought that the black plauge travled by air so docters wore masks with scents of flowers and such to block out the bad smells and disease. What they didn't know was that the bubonic plauge travled by rats and fleas. Rats were diseased and the fleas bit them infecting the fleas. After the fleas bit humans infecting them.
Junqing Qiao
I agree with Melisa. I don't think any the treatments would work. Drinking urine is just plain diqusting and not healthy. Bleeding would only weaken the patient. And lastly, something that might help, would be dieting. It's still used today, and it helps a lot.
I think the cures that would work were the diet and vinegar and water treatment because they seem like the would actually work rather than the witchcraft.
The cure of bleeding I think is a bad idea because it just made the person lose a lot of blood and it didnt really cure them!
Most of the treatments that were religious were based on beliefs and wouldn't really work such as bleeding to let the disease leave the body. If they cut open main arteries and veins that lead to the heart to let these people bleed they'd either die or be severely weakened. Sanitation might actually be effective in making the disease less spreadable. Diet would probably make the patient at least a little stronger.
~Anna Gill
I dont think any treatments would have worked because they were all based on things like spirits and ghosts.
None of these cures actaully worked. If they did 25 million people wouldn't have died. Most of these cures are just rediculous. Cutting open the sores would just leave an opening for an infection. And bleeding just makes the person weaker. Wichcraft was the craziest idea they had. But people back then had no modern knowlledge of how medicene works so they had there own way of viewing things. Obviously we now know that theses were ineffective methods. They probably had no way to develop a cure back them anyways.
I think the only one of the cures that could work would be the one where they cut the person open to drain some of the blood. I think this will work because when they drain the blood they could be draining out the disease from the body.
Many cures that were said to work for curing the "Black Death," didn't seem to work in my mind. Bleeding a person to try and have the disease escape obviously didn't work becuase it would only make the person weaker. The sanitation cure and the diet cure probably would work becuase we use similar treatments today. I think that the disease would not spread if they had sanitation and cleaned the streets. Also they should dispose of the dead bodies correctly rather than leaving them to rest on the streets.
~Kasey Hemeon
i dont think any of these methods worked. Cutting open the sores would probably spread the disease more! Also, I'm not sure how bleeding would help. It would cause more infection, and the people would become weaker.
I think that dieting, and sanitation . Obviously if it smells bad or looks funny you don't eat it.
well people thought that bleeding back then wouldpretty much just drain all the stuff out thats bad. also a diet was very common to get rid of it.
I personally think that most of the cures didn't work except maybe the vinegar and water treatment. This could possibly lower the fever causing other side effects to slowly weaken. People believed in them because they thought normal practices or newer practices could cure anything, but as 1/3 of the population was eliminated, I think they were wrong.
Most of the so called "cures" to black death had to do with religion. They thought that if you cut open the viens to the heart, you could stop the disease from spreading. We now know that that only made the patient more weak and very likely to die.
One thing that they did that proboably did good was to clean the streets daily and to burn all the human and animal remains. This was a step in the right direction. Otherwise the treatments were ludicroust and had no posetive affect on the patient.
-Rayna
Dolphins
i dont think they worked because they knew very little about the disease and most of the cures didnt seem logical.
I don't believe that any of the cures would work. Especially the one about not eating meat cheese and fish. It makes absolutely no sense and I don't think is even relevant to the plague. People may have believed that those things would work because not many people had medical expierience and were desperate to be cured.
I don't think any of the treatments would work, especially bleeding.
I think that the diet and sanitation would work for curing the Plague. I think this because today people still worry about being clean and not having trash laying around. If they didn't throw things on the street, bacteria wouldn't grow as much and the Plague would die down. I think that dieting might have worked depending on what they ate because they might eat healthier and help to keep themselves healthy in the future.
I'm pretty sure putting "dried human excrement" on open sores would not have helped. Burning the bodies might have worked. At least people on the streets wouldn't be brushing up against dead bodies that had open sores.
There was some cures but really there onlywas two deiting and bleeding
I don't really think any of these worked. I think the people believed in them because they did not know any better, so they basically just made up treatments for the disease.
I think
I think that some of the cures didn't work. Also, I think that people believed that because they didn't know what else to think.
A lot of these seem like they would work, although almost none of them actually do.
I think there ways of clearing desees were very strange and all they did was make the person weeker
I think that the treatments would not work. People beleived in these cures because they didn't use science to cure the sick, they used religion.
Post a Comment